Monday, December 20, 2010

“A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.” – Lao Tzu

The countdown begins. In exactly 36 days I will embark on what I hope to be one of the greatest experiences of my life. I'll be spending the Spring 2011 semester studying Interior Design in Florence, Italy. I honestly can not believe that I'm able to do this. How am I allowed to 'study' and be in arguably one of the most beautiful and historic cities on this Earth? How is it that I'll have the opportunity to travel all around Europe, eat amazing food and experience life like I never have before? I have to keep reminding myself that this will actually happen-that I am not dreaming, and that somehow, I am not cheating the system. I will get 15 credit hours for the next semester, and gain a whole new perspective on design, and furthermore, life. At this point, though it's still a little bit hard to believe. 

Currently, it's December 20, just five days before Christmas. In all honesty, I have barely thought about Christmas. These last few weeks have been consumed by final projects and exams, and I haven't really had a second to stop and think. However, I've had Italy on my horizon for quite a while now. I can't wait to eat gelato outside the Duomo, (regardless of the fact that it will be January when I arrive) scarf down spaghetti bolognese while daintily sipping a glass of wine, and pretend to ignore the men who exclaim "Ciao, Bella" as I pass. ;) I'm so excited to experience a culture that isn't so absorbed in its capitalistic, and hard-working tendencies that it forgets the value of rest, relationships, and enjoyment. I don't want to feel guilty about relaxing or taking a long dinner. I want to enjoy my time, build relationships, and for once, calm down. 

So, my first steps, here in the US, will be to take some time to stop and smell the flowers. After all, it's the little things in life, right? 

Fort Worth Botanical Gardens, November 2010


Arrivederci!  




No comments:

Post a Comment